Whatever you do, don’t stock up on the peanut butter-flavored Captain Crunch cereal to get you through the storm bearing down on the East Coast. It’s best to let your offspring help with the snow shoveling. And you’ll look stupid if you try to start the generator with no gas in it.
And keep in mind, “Don’t panic. It’s just frozen rain. It does go away so don’t try to move too much at one time.”
Try to get through the Bangor Police Department Facebook post without smiling. Just try.
The blizzard bearing down on the East Coast is not expected to hit Maine, but this state knows how to live with a harsh winter. “Listen, this storm is going to miss us. This is not typical and we want to share a little advice of how to make it through an epic ‘snow event’ unscathed. We want you to come back next year,” wrote Sgt. Tim Cotton.
The out-of-staters who saw the post — which as of Saturday morning had nearly 60,000 shares — appeared to love it.
I didn’t read all of the 4,898 comments, I’ll admit, but I did scroll through many of them. Here are some gems from people in other states:
- From a Texan stuck in the bullseye in Virginia, who has no clue what she’s doing, thank you Bangor police!
- From Michigan and I loved reading this! WTG Bangor Police!
- A few tip from our northern neighbors…wise words. Stay safe in the epicenter of that perfect storm.
- Thanks for the laugh! From southern MA
- Thank you from stop central Maryland… Now can you teach them how to plow better here!
- This is hilarious…. From the mountains of Virginia, where the snow is steadily piling up.
- Chicago is gonna sit this one out too. Trying not to laugh too much. But hey we’re sending hundreds of emergency crews so y’all stay safe. You can come here in the warm weather for deep dish pizza!
- Thank you from Tennessee. We are prepared for mosquitoes, torrential rain, Yankees who complain we talk funny and another building season with Butch Jones. SNOW in appreciable amounts flabbergasts us to no end.
- This Michigander has never been to Maine. It’s on my bucket list.
- Great advice from the Mountains of NC. cereal works for me!!
- I was born in VT, lived in Maine, and now reside in WV (currently under 18″ of snow). I own a generator, a snow blower and a 4X4. I got this.
- This is great! We live here in Delaware County, New York (NOT the city) and experience winter and snow much like the folks do in Maine. I just heard on the weather channel that New York City has cancelled their “Snow Festival” in Central Park… because of the snow! You can’t make this stuff up
The post didn’t just catch the attention of The New York Times, which devoted a full five paragraphs to it, it also rang true with some kids in Virginia.
As the Bangor PD wrote in a later post:
We passed on some advice in dealing with snow to our neighbors to the south last night.
Much of the advice was important. Some of it was very important. Guess which tidbit these two Fairfax, Virginia residents took to heart.
Hint: Ain’t no “Grape Nuts” on this table.
8 year old Cameron on the left and 11 year old Joe, on the right, also agree with me that the peanut butter flavor is for the non-discriminating palate.
Good luck to those who are dealing with all that snow. To echo the Bangor police, “You got this.”